Schools & Libraries

This post card view is of the third (not the first) schoolhouse in Great Neck. The building which served as a school from 1840 to 1869 still remains at the corner of Fairview Avenue and Middle Neck Road.

Grades one to twelve attended the white frame school building which stood at the corner of Arrandale Avenue and Middle Neck Road from 1900 until it burned in 1920.

The Thomaston school was built on farm land in 1905 in the area now called Kensington. The Kensington-Johnson elementary school was built beside it in 1921. The area is now occupied by apartment buildings.

The Kensington Johnson elementary school. The first building was erected facing Bond Street in 1921. The school was closed in 1981; later the building was razed to make way for apartment buildings

Built in 1863 as the Union Chapel, this former church on Middle Neck Road has served as a theatre, a youth center and, with an added wing, now houses the Village School, an alternative high school.

Students at the Sweetland School, a private school, in 1918.

The Arrandale School, the first high school, opened in 1914 on the corner of Middle Neck Road and Arrandale Avenue. It later provided space for the Adult Program and finally closed in 1977.

In 1907 the Great Neck Library was moved from the home of the librarian on Middle Neck Road into this Tudor style building on Arrandale Avenue. When the Main Library moved to a new location in 1970, the building was taken over by the Great Neck Park District and renamed Great Neck House.


Great Neck Library main building on Bayview Avenue. Designed by architects Gibbons & Heidtman and opened in 1970.

 

Great Neck History Online | Grist Mill | Middle Neck Road
Notable Sites | Parks & Recreation | Schools & Libraries | Transportation

159 Bayview Ave Great Neck, NY 11023
(516) 466-8055
Email: comments@greatnecklibrary.org
Copyright © 2004 Great Neck Library