Notable Sites

Alert Fire Hall.The Alert Fire Company was founded in 1901. This view of its handsome fire hall at 555 Middle Neck Road dates from the early 1900's, probably after 1907.

Post card view of Lake Success, early 1900's.

United Nations Headquarters, Lake Success. Built by the Sperry Gyroscope Company in 1941, the redesigned factory became the headquarters for the Security Council of the UN in August 1946.

United States Post Office. This limestone, Art Deco style building which stands at the intersection of Welwyn Road and Shoreward Drive was dedicated in August 1940.

Woman's Club of Great Neck. Designed by Harold S. Webb and built on land donated by Mrs. William S. Barstow, this club building was opened in January 1937.

Stepping Stone Lighthouse. Visible from Steppingstone Park, this 1877 lighthouse stands 46 feet high on a rocky outcrop in Long Island Sound.

   

Great Neck History Online | Grist Mill | Middle Neck Road
Notable Sites | Parks & Recreation | Schools & Libraries | Transportation

159 Bayview Ave Great Neck, NY 11023
(516) 466-8055
 
Email: comments@greatnecklibrary.org
Copyright © 2004 Great Neck Library