Internet Use Policy
I Internet Use Policy
The Great Neck Library, in keeping with its mission of providing the best possible traditional and innovative library services, makes available to the public a variety of electronic resources including the Internet and World Wide Web. The Library endeavors to provide quality links to Internet resources, but has no control over the information accessed, and cannot be held responsible for its contents. Likewise, the Great Neck Library assumes no responsibility for any damages, direct or indirect, arising from use of its connection to Internet resources.
We firmly believe that the valuable information available on this worldwide network far outweighs the possibility that users may procure information that is not consistent with the educational and research goals of the Library. Please be aware that with access to computers all over the world also comes the availability of material that may be considered “inappropriate” for some users.
The Great Neck Library affirms the right and responsibility of parent/guardians, not library staff, to determine and monitor their minor children’s use of the Internet. Parents who believe that their children cannot responsibly use the Great Neck Library’s Internet access are requested to monitor their children’s Internet use.
II Rules Governing Use
- Users are subject to all State and Federal laws
- Persons under the age of 18 need parental permission to use these services.
- A time limit for use of the computers may be established when necessary to meet demand for use of the equipment.
- Patrons who enter a fee-based service are responsible for any charges incurred.
- There is a charge of 10 cents per page for all black and white printouts from the public workstations and a charge of 25 cents per page for all color printouts from public workstations. Charges will be debited to the individual's Print Management account.
- Preference in the use of the computers is given to residents of the Great Neck Library district
III Unacceptable Use of the Internet
- Uses that violate the law or encourage others to violate the law, including, but not limited to, displaying material harmful to minors, and copyright infringement violations.
- Uses that cause harm to others or damage to their property, including, but not limited to: defamation; uploading a worm or virus; hacking or any form of unauthorized access to other computers, networks or information systems.
- Uses that jeopardize the security of the computer network or other networks on the Internet, including, but not limited to, altering the Great Neck Library’s computer settings; installing, altering or modifying the computer equipment or software.
- Uses that compromise the safety and security of minors when using e-mail, chat rooms and other forms of direct electronic communications, including, but not limited to, giving others private information about one’s self or others.
The Great Neck Library reserves the right to terminate an Internet session that disrupts library services or that involves user behavior which is not in accordance with the rules governing use as outlined in II above or is an unacceptable use as outlined in III above. Failure to observe the above guidelines will result in termination of Internet access privileges.
Adopted July 16, 1996 ; Amended September 24, 1996
Modified to conform to NYS Education Commissioner’s Regulation 90.3 (12/99)
Revised: 3/27/01 ; 9/24/02